Up until now, every guest we’ve had on BlogcastFM has been a blogger, author, or entrepreneur. One of the things that I thought would be really interesting is getting a perspective from a different side. So I was thrilled when Kristina Holmes said she’d be willing to come and share her insights on what literary agents look for in bloggers.
Here are some of the highlights from our chat:
- What A Literary Agent Looks for in Your Writing
- Things You Can do to Invoke Emotion in Your Readers
- Why You Have to Be OK with Offending Your Audience
- The Indicators of Success and Failure in Your Writing
- Why the Aesthetics and Design of Your Blog Matter
- The Power of Figuring Out Your Purpose
- The Elements of Your Platform That A Literary Agent Evaluates
- Why Traditional Media Isn’t as Powerful as It Used to Be
- Focusing on the Needs of Your Readers Over the Publisher
- How to Get Connected to a Literary Agent
- The Critical Elements of a Good Proposal
- The Harsh Realities of Writing a Book
- Why Traditional Publishing is Still a Mark of Credibility
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Self-Publishing
- A Great Story About an Incredibly Successful Self-Published Author
Kristina Holmes is a literary agent, who is experienced helping to create sharp book proposals, develop effective book marketing plans, land significant offers with major New York publishing houses, and guide authors through every step of the publishing process. She works with people who are at the leading edge of their fields, committed to evoking greatness in themselves and their readers, kindling curiosity, and fostering creativity and constructive action. You can follow her on twitter @kristinaAholmes.
If you liked this article, would you share it with your friends? Just click here to post it to Twitter.
One of our goals for 2012 is to become a top 100 show in iTunes. We can get there with your help and it will enable us to improve the how and bring on even bigger guests. So if you can, we’d be really grateful if you write us a review in iTunes.