Unless you’ve been on the moon for the last 2 years, you’ve probably heard of Julien Smith. We had him here on the show at the beginning of the year and I decided to bring him back because he and Chris Brogan recently published their new book The Impact Equation.
Here are some of the highlights from our chat:
- Why You Must be Able to Express What You Do in One Sentence
- The Importance of Diversifying the Content You Consume
- The Role of the Hero’s Journey in Your Blog Content
- How the Outer World Influences Your Work
- The 6 Elements of the Impact Equation
- The Main Multiplier that Sets Your Content Apart
- Huge Advantages of Being an Early Adopter of Things
- The Importance of Time, Attention, and Details When You See No Rewards
- Looking Through Your Existing Content to Develop the Seeds for Products/Services
- How Rewriting your Old Content in a New Way Can Cause It to Go Viral
- Why Clarity is So Essential to Your Success
- How Your Personal Network Can Be Valuable in Growing Your Platform
- Why 80% of Julien’s Traffic Comes From 2-3 of His Blog Posts
- The Importance of Putting Effort into Your Content
- A Look into Chris and Julien’s Co-Writing Process
- The Marketing Plan Behind the Impact Equation
Tweetable Insights Include:
- I don’t read blogs. I read a ton of books and books that other people don’t read (Click to Tweet)
- I deliberately cause myself a great deal of pain and see positive results (Click to Tweet)
- If you place yourself inside of a big pond you’ll own nothing and drown (Click to Tweet)
- If your message is not immediately clear and definable it’s a failure (Click to Tweet)
- If you’re one of the first people inside a new ecosystem, you’ll be able to dominate that ecosystem (Click to Tweet)
Julien Smith is a blogger, consultant, and speaker who has been involved in online communities for over 15 years. He was one of the first Twitter users and among the first people to use podcasting in 2004. You can follow him on twitter @julien.
If you liked this article, would you share it with your friends? Just click here to post it to Twitter.
One of our goals for 2012 is to become a top 100 show in iTunes. We can get there with your help and it will enable us to improve the how and bring on even bigger guests. So if you can, we’d be really grateful if you write us a review in iTunes.