As most of you know, I’m more or less obsessed with surfing. So when the opportunity to head up the social media efforts for Kyle Thiermann’s non-profit Surfing For Change came across my radar, I immediately jumped at it. What I didn’t realize is just how much of an impact that Kyle was having on the world through his surf travels. You’ll get an eye opening look into the evolution of Surfing For Change.
Here are some highlights from our chat:
- Why Kyle Always Tries to Understand the Issues of Local Communities When He Travels
- How Kyle’s First YouTube Video Got Over 20,000 Views
- What You Can Learn From the Sponsorship of Professional Athletes
- The Importance of Working with Brands that Have Values Aligned with Yours
- How to Integrate a Highly Effective Message into YouTube Videos
- Some Essential Elements of Pitching Your Story to the Mainstream Media
- Why Even a Big Wave Surfer Has to Deal with a Fear of Public Speaking
- The Commonality that All Successful Storytellers Have In Common
- How Kyle Landed a Speaking Gig at TEDx Santa Cruz
- The Importance of Catering to People You Respect
- Why Haters Will Inevitably Be a Part of Creating Popular Content
- How Kyle Has Connected with Influential People like Annie Leonard, Jack Johnson, and Kelly Slater
- Determining the Core Messages of Your Platform
- Click by Ori Braffman
- The Story of Stuff
- Surfing for Change YouTube Channel
- The Surfing For Change Facebook Page
Kyle Thiermann is a pro surfer who has created some serious waves around the world. He is the creator and host of the hit YouTube series, Surfing For Change. Combining surfing great waves with making a series of short films about current issues, he focuses on the power you have to create a better world through everyday decisions. You can follow him on twitter @surfing4change.
If you liked this article, would you share it with your friends? Just click here to post it to Twitter.
One of our goals for 2012 is to become a top 100 show in iTunes. We can get there with your help and it will enable us to improve the how and bring on even bigger guests. So if you can, we’d be really grateful if you write us a review in iTunes.